Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Pathfinders


The word pathfinder means "a person who makes a new path". That's what explorers do and I like to explore! I would like you to meet some very interesting Pathfinders. They are the teacher-astronauts selected for the Teachers in Space program. You know what a teacher is, but did you know that an astronaut is a person who is trained for space flight? I like those two words together - TEACHER ASTRONAUTS!
There are seven Pathfinders in the Teachers in Space program and they are all teachers, just like your teacher!
Astronaut Maureen Adams - Lampasas, Texas
Astronaut Steve Heck - Cincinnati , Ohio
Astronaut Jame Kuhl - Syracuse, New York
Astronaut Rachael Manzer - East Hartland, CT
Astronaut Lanette Oliver - San Antonio, Texas
Astronaut Chantelle Rose - St.Paris, Ohio
Astronaut Mike Schmidt - Tucson, Arizona

Tomorrow I get to go with the Pathfinders to IFLY, the vertical wind tunnel experience. I'm a little scared, but mostly excited. I hope I get to fly too. I know the Pathfinders will take really good care of me.

Remember to think about what you learned today. What did you learn about me? What does pathfinder mean? What does an astronaut do? Tell three people what you learned!

Until next time . . . up, up and away!


No comments:

Post a Comment